:: home   :: about   :: services   :: invest   :: news   :: links   :: employment   :: contact us   :: employee portal   :: en fran├žais  
Prentiss and Carlisle
 Prentiss and Carlisle  Prentiss and Carlisle
Click to learn more about Prentiss & Carlisle's history...
1878-1929 | 1930-1949 | 1950-1969 | 1970-1989 | 1990-present

Times change!

George DNow 92 years old, George D. Carlisle, son of P&C founder George T. Carlisle, has seen the logging and forest resource management business through many changes.

He remembers...
  • Wood-harvesting when trees were cut one at a time with buck saws, hauled from the woods by horses, limbed with handsaws, and peeled between May and August when growth cells are new and bark comes off fairly easily.
  • River drives until the late 60's when a law suit alleging that logs blocked the Kennebec so canoes and boats couldn't pass and that tree bark polluted the river brought the 300-year-old river driving tradition to a halt in Maine.
  • The introduction of new chemical processes that allowed lower-priced hardwoods to be used in papermaking. Until the early 1980's, harvesters cut mostly softwood, which was used to make printing paper and newspaper, while hardwood was used for napkins and paper towels.

History

Prentiss & Carlisle Co., Inc. was founded in 1924 by George T. Carlisle, a University of Maine graduate in forestry, and Henry Prentiss, a businessman and third generation timberland owner.

The company has grown and undergone many changes in the 90+ years since. Just click on the dates above for information and insights into P&C's history.

Print
home | about | services | invest | news | links | employment | contact us | employee portal | en fran├žais

  © 2000 - 2018 Prentiss & Carlisle. All Rights Reserved. Site design and content by J Group Advertising.
Content managed with datAvenger CMS by sephone.