Prentiss and Carlisle (P&C) is currently accepting applications for a Registered Professional Forester position based out of our Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada office. P&C is a 4th generation forest management company established in 1924 with corporate headquarters in Bangor, Maine. As a trusted forest management firm, P&C provides timberland management and consulting services for clients throughout the United States and eastern Canada. We serve a wide range of forest ownership types including family timberlands, conservation group lands, investment organization properties, and municipal forestlands.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Short (annual) and medium term (5 year) planning of harvest operation locations including anticipated volumes, silvicultural prescriptions, applicable permitting and notifications, road locations, operational instructions, and associated maps within a defined district of responsibility.
- Location and layout of timber harvest boundaries and forest roads including delineation of riparian zones (streams, brooks, lakes, bogs, etc.), and property lines.
- Regular inspections of the harvest & road operations to ensure compliance with the planned objectives, proper utilization of timber products, and environmental regulations. Also includes the submission of written inspection reports.
- Assistance in preparation of allowable cut calculations, management plans, annual land management budgets, and harvesting and road construction contracts including the monitoring of invoicing from these contracts.
- Complete various other forest management tasks including timber cruising, marking property lines for renewal, reconnaissance of managed lands for HBU (higher and better use) and timber harvesting, maintaining a knowledge of land use issues such as access, dumping, public use, and environmental situations, and working with other landowners and governmental agencies on matters related to managed lands.
- When called upon, assist with special company projects within or outside the district such as timber cruising, land use studies, due diligence, etc.
- This position requires a BS degree in forestry or related field with 3 years of field experience.
- Must be a Registered Professional Forester or can become a Registered Professional Forester.
- Strong safety values especially applicable to the forest products industry.
- Proficiency in relevant silvicultural, harvest operation, road construction, and mensuration skills.
- Strong understanding of local product specifications and utilization.
- Ability to work independently outside in all weather conditions and remote locations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and ArcInfo/ArcMap GIS.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Driver’s license.
- Familiarity and/or experience with third party certification process’ is an asset
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation is commensurate with experience. P&C offers a comprehensive benefit package including paid vacation & holidays, health insurance, life & disability insurance and a Voluntary Retirement Savings Plan with matching & profit-sharing contributions. Qualified applicants should email a cover letter and a resume to Rob Semczyszyn, Regional Manager at email@example.com , Subject: RFP – Sault Ste. Marie. We thank all of those that respond. Only candidates that closely match the qualifications listed above will be contacted.