Prentiss & Carlisle is currently accepting applications for an Operations Forester position based out of our Ashland, Maine office. P&C is a 4th generation forest management company established in 1924. As a trusted forest management firm, P&C provides timberland management and consulting services for clients throughout the United States and eastern Canada. We serve a wide range of forest ownerships types including family timberlands, conservation group lands, investment organization properties, and municipal forestlands. Most managed properties are enrolled in third party group certification programs including the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®).
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Short (annual) and Medium term (5 year) planning of harvest operation locations including anticipated volumes, silvicultural prescriptions, applicable permitting and notifications, road locations, operational instructions, and associated maps within a defined district of responsibility.
- Locate and layout of timber harvest boundaries and forest roads including delineation of riparian zones (streams, brooks, lakes, bogs, etc.), and property lines.
- Regular inspections of the harvest & road operations to ensure compliance with the planned objectives, proper utilization of timber products, environmental regulations, and proper Chain of Custody procedures. Also includes the submission of written inspection reports.
- Participation in 3rd party certification audits on an annual basis.
- Assistance in preparation of allowable cut calculations, management plans, annual land management budgets, and harvesting and road construction contracts including the monitoring of invoicing from these contracts.
- Complete various other forest management tasks including timber cruising, marking property lines for renewal, reconnaissance of managed lands for HBU (higher and better use) and timber harvesting, maintaining a knowledge of land use issues such as access, dumping, public use, and environmental situations, and working with other landowners and agencies such as LUPC, IF&W, DEP on matters related to managed lands.
- When called upon, assist with special company projects within or outside the district such as timber cruising, land use studies, due diligence, etc.
- This position requires a BS degree in forestry or related field with 3 years of field experience.
- Possession of a current Maine Forester’s License or ability to obtain a Maine Forester’s License.
- Strong safety values especially applicable to the forest products industry.
- Proficiency in relevant silvicultural, harvest operation, and mensuration skills.
- Ability to work independently outside in all weather conditions and remote locations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and ArcInfo/ArcMap GIS.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Prentiss & Carlisle is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive wage commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefit package including a company vehicle, paid vacation & holidays, health insurance, life & disability insurance and 401(k) matching & profit-sharing contributions.